Character Sketch of Victor Frankenstein: The Trouble of a Finite Creator




 


 
 

 

Review

Frankenstein, or The Modern Promotheus as author Mary Shelley so aptly subtitled it, is considered in the genre of horror to be one of the first of its kind and because of this reasoning, it unsettled the literary world in 1818. Contemporary reviews such as the British review magazine The Belle Assemblée  stated, This is a very ‘bold’ fiction; and, did not the author, in a short Preface, make a kind of apology , we should almost pronounce it to be ‘impious’. We hope, however, the writer had the moral in view which we are desirous of drawing from it…” Also in the same year, Walter Scott, literary reviewer of  Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine, in a troubled attempt to categorize the novel, classified it as a “romantic fiction” stating, This is a novel, or more properly a romantic fiction, of a nature so peculiar, that we ought to describe the species before attempting any account of the individual production.” And, “The class of marvellous romances admits of several subdivisions. In the earlier productions of imagination, the poet, or tale-teller does not, in his own opinion, transgress the laws of credibility, when he introduces into his narration the witches, goblins, and magicians, in the existence of which he himself, as well as his hearers, is a firm believer. This good faith, however, passes away, and works turning upon the marvellous are written and read merely on account of the exercise which they afford to the imagination… In this species of composition, the marvellous is itself the principal and most important object both to the author and reader.” Likewise, the British Critic, though refreshed and intrigued by its narrative form, but nerveless cynical comparing the storyline to overdosing on medication, We are in doubt to what class we shall refer writings of this extravagant character; that they bear marks of considerable power, it is impossible to deny; but this power is so abused and perverted, that we should almost prefer imbecility; however much, of late years, we have been wearied and ennuied by the languid whispers of gentle sentimentality, they at least had the comfortable property of provoking no uneasy slumber; but we must protest against the waking dreams of horror excited by the unnatural stimulants of this later school; and we feel ourselves as much harassed, after rising from the perusal of these three spirit-wearing volumes, as if we had been over-dosed with laudanum, or hag-ridden by the night-mare.”

Twentieth and twenty-first century day literary critics disagree with their predecessors, but even though there is presently much praise for the work, pop-culture has distorted the sketch of the main characters. The common thought among the populous, and humbly myself before indulging in this classic, is simply that Frankenstein is the monster (who looks like Boris Karloff) created by some short, white-haired mad scientist who deviously laughs after every illogical statement he declares to himself, but this is far from the original portrayal of the author. In contrast, Shelley through her writing depicts Frankenstein, or better Victor Frankenstein, as a scientist pushing the boundaries of science, and in painstakingly and furious hopes of being a creator, he creates a humanoid being. His creation, the monster, never was bestowed a formal name, but throughout the novel is grotesquely labeled (e.g. demon, wretch, vile insect, fiend) by Frankenstein as he retells the tragedy of his life. The subtitle of the book, The Modern Promotheus, delineates Frankenstein’s attempt; Shelley alludes to the Greek mythological poem Theogeny  written by Ancient Greek poet Hesiod. In Theogeny, it is Promotheus who is credited with the creation of man by forming him from clay. Thus, even the subtitle clarifies the scientist’s role in the narrative.

Synopsis

The story begins with the hero Victor Frankenstein’s background: where he lived, how his parents came to know each other, and information about his other siblings, including one Elizabeth, who was adopted into the family and who Frankenstein adored, affectionately calling her his cousin. As he grows, he has a keen desire for the supernatural (e.g.alchemy) and goes off to the University of Ingolstadt to study. He is persuaded by his professors to eschew his unproven studies of the supernatural and instead focuses on the natural sciences. In doing so, he works tediously and arduously until he has mastered the present knowledge of his field, but still his former interests haunt him and in eventually giving in to his desires, he initiates fusing the two.

He is encouraged by some success and secretly states working on his life’s ambition, turning an inanimate object into life. Taking corporeal elements from dissecting tables and slaughter houses he comprises a living being that he sparks to life with electricity. However, on the accomplishment of his work, horror overcomes him and he runs and hides from the creature he just created.

 Some time later Frankenstein discovers that his little brother has been murdered and when he sorrowfully goes to the place of his misfortune, he sees the creature lurking in the shadows and concludes that his brother has been murdered by the monster. Justine a family friend is accused of the murder because a picture of William’s mother that he had was found in her pocket by a servant. Frankenstein knows the truth and pleads for Justine’s innocence all the while fearful that if he reveals what he knows, he will be labeled mad, but her innocence is not proven resulting in her unwarranted death, driving Victor to more fury and insanity.

 

It is later found out through Frankenstein's intercourse with the monster that the monster just wanted to understand life, and to feel love, and how to speak all which he believed was owed to him and which Frankenstein never offered. Therefore, the monster sought to destroy those who Frankenstein held dear unless he would create him a wife in the same fashion as he, which the scientist willingly does so for relief of the monster's oppression. However, in the process he can’t put himself to finishing the work and destroys the unfinished creation much to the monster’s dismay. And so William was just the beginning of Frankenstein’s sorrows as one by one his loved ones are murdered, even his precious Elizabeth, whom he vowed to marry, was murdered on their wedding day. From there, the tragedy concludes with Frankenstein vowing to search for the monster and kill him but instead he dies on a boat in sorrow never accomplishing revenge.

In Relation to Scripture

I believe the greatest concept promoted by Shelley in her novel is the trouble of a limited creator. In the story, Frankenstein falls in love with his work in natural science and begins through his excitement to accomplish the extoadinary, partly in effort to aid humanity. He says, “No one can conceive the variety of feelings which bore me onwards, like a hurricane, in the first enthusiasm of success. Life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which I should first break through, and pour a torrent of light into our dark world. A new species would bless me as its creator and source; many happy and excellent natures would owe their being to me. No father could claim the gratitude of his child so completely as I should deserve theirs. Pursuing these reflections, I thought that if I could bestow animation upon lifeless matter, I might in process of time (although I now found it impossible) renew life where death had apparently devoted the body to corruption.” Yet, when his creation was finally finished and endued with life, he was horrified at the works of his hands: It was on a dreary night of November that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils. With an anxiety that almost amounted to agony, I collected the instruments of life around me, that I might infuse a spark of being into the lifeless thing that lay at my feet. It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs.

 

How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom with such infinite pains and care I had endeavoured to form? His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful! Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips. The different accidents of life are not so changeable as the feelings of human nature. I had worked hard for nearly two years, for the sole purpose of infusing life into an inanimate body. For this I had deprived myself of rest and health. I had desired it with an ardour that far exceeded moderation; but now that I had finished, the beauty of the dream vanished, and breathless horror and disgust filled my heart. Unable to endure the aspect of the being I had created, I rushed out of the room and continued a long time traversing my bed-chamber, unable to compose my mind to sleep. At length lassitude succeeded to the tumult I had before endured, and I threw myself on the bed in my clothes, endeavouring to seek a few moments of forgetfulness. But it was in vain; I slept, indeed, but I was disturbed by the wildest dreams…I started from my sleep with horror; a cold dew covered my forehead, my teeth chattered, and every limb became convulsed; when, by the dim and yellow light of the moon, as it forced its way through the window shutters, I beheld the wretch-- the miserable monster whom I had created. He held up the curtain of the bed; and his eyes, if eyes they may be called, were fixed on me. His jaws opened, and he muttered some inarticulate sounds, while a grin wrinkled his cheeks. He might have spoken, but I did not hear; one hand was stretched out, seemingly to detain me, but I escaped and rushed downstairs. I took refuge in the courtyard belonging to the house which I inhabited, where I remained during the rest of the night, walking up and down in the greatest agitation, listening attentively, catching and fearing each sound as if it were to announce the approach of the demoniacal corpse to which I had so miserably given life. Oh! No mortal could support the horror of that countenance. A mummy again endued with animation could not be so hideous as that wretch. I had gazed on him while unfinished; he was ugly then, but when those muscles and joints were rendered capable of motion, it became a thing such as even Dante could not have conceived.

The creator had spurned his creation, that what he so arduously poured over for two years, loathed him; but God is not this way. After God created man, he said that it was not only good, but very good (Gen. 1:31). Sometimes like the Psalmist David we are intrigued why an infinite Creator would ever be mindful of us, but he does. David writes,What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? (Ps.8:4). Job also pondered this question, he states, “What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?(Job 7:17). . Undoubtedly, God could have forsaken man, like Frankenstein,  after the Fall in the Garden of Eden, and yet he displayed more love in sending His Son, Jesus Christ to be our substitute, our sacrifice. Paul writes, I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me (Gal. 2:20).

God is not a God who creates and then hides from his creation as Frankenstein did. In my opinion, the greatest section of the narrative is when the monster purposely confronts the scientist with his hatred towards him. The monster says, Be calm! I entreat you to hear me before you give vent to your hatred on my devoted head. Have I not suffered enough, that you seek to increase my misery? Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it. Remember, thou hast made me more powerful than thyself; my height is superior to thine, my joints more supple. But I will not be tempted to set myself in opposition to thee. I am thy creature, and I will be even mild and docile to my natural lord and king if thou wilt also perform thy part, the which thou owest me. Oh, Frankenstein, be not equitable to every other and trample upon me alone, to whom thy justice, and even thy clemency and affection, is most due. Remember that I am thy creature; I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed. Everywhere I see bliss, from which I alone am irrevocably excluded.

It truly is uncanny how Shelley was able to unravel the issues concerning Modern Day Science. It is almost as if she was able to perceive the future 200 years earlier. Frankenstein used electricity to bring life to the monster and yet today scientists use electricity to fuse the cells together in cloning. Frankenstein started out his work in hopes of bettering society and today, those in biocentrics hope to reverse the extinction of animals, solve the world’s hunger problems, and even cure diseases, but at what cost? I’m afraid that many will be more in love with the ingeniousness of the accomplishment and not the creation. This, as the book Frankenstein so distinctively teaches, will be the result of man who is limited in knowledge, and love, and power and yet still attempts to be a creator. It is impossible for man to be God. This is the trouble with creators who are finite, they become the monster.

Comments