A Poem for Young Ladies Everywhere

Wow! It has been a long time! I do want to start posting on my blog again so to get me back in the swing of things, I thought it would be good to post some poems I wrote some years ago.
The following poem was one I wrote almost seven years ago. I was inspired to write it one day because I was discouraged how our culture viewed women. Today, through the feminist movement women trade in their freedom for bondage, believing the lie that there are no moral responsibilities in life . My prayer, now that I actually have a daughter, is that my daughter would find her expression and freedom not in this world, but in Christ, and that she would never, God-willing, lose her innocence.
The Ballroom Bedroom
By Jonathan S. Bradford


A girl in fine attire
Walks through her bedroom door
Her feet are shod with slippers
To dance on ballroom floors.

Her auburn hair is braided
On top but not below
Four curls are drooped upon her shoulder
Which give them a golden glow.

In her hand there is a box,
A music one which plays
The finest ballroom music
Known to her that day.

French is too flamboyant,”
She says in girlish voice.
“And Russian too extreme for me…
German is my choice!”

Her music box is laid beside,
The luminous ballroom candle.
She opens up the top of it,
To hear rich Bach and Handel.

In her other hand a fan is held
Which waves back to and fro
Over the top she peaks and searches
And glances for a beaux.

“Will no one come and dance with me?
Aren’t I beautiful?”
Her eyes then catch a brownish figure
Sitting on a stool.

She walks across the ballroom bedroom
And sidesteps closer towards him
“I must not be too obvious –
Jumpy fellows are these men.”

Her mind is racing, her heart beats faster
She holds her every breath.
“Will he think I’m beautiful
In my ballroom dress?”

“The banquet was so wonderful
With ham and the crème puffs.”
She giggles with a girlish glee,
“You must be kind of stuffed!”

“But since the banquet’s over,”
She said with all her might,
“Will you be my ballroom dancer
On this special night?”

He stares and smiles at her
But much to her dismay
His lips are closed, his mouth is tight
Not one word he says.

“Oh!” she says, to her new friend
Her friend upon the stool,
“Are you the type of man
That avoided dancing school?”

“I shall teach you how to dance
To the music of Bach and Handel
Through the even we shall prance
By the ballroom candle.”

But still he did not move or speak
Just sat there in the corner
She put her hands upon her hips
And spoke to him now sterner:

“Usually cowards in the corner,
Do not have a chance.
But since you are a handsome fellow,
You may have this dance.”

She reaches out her tiny hand
And grasps a hold this fellow.
“Do not fear my charming beaux
This waltz is more mellow.”

So through the evening hand in hand
They danced the candle dim.
His eyes engaged on her
Her eyes fastened on him.

“The night is old and I am cold,
My eyes are full of sleep.”
She looks into his handsome face,
“We really shouldn’t keep.”

“Oh! Teddy, Dear, I am surprised.
Your tongue should get a lash,
To kiss me goodnight the first time,
How could you be so brash!”

“But since you are so charming
And such a dashing beaux.
Stay right there and do not move
A goodnight kiss I’ll blow.”

She blows him one and then the candle
Receives the same gesture
The music box is closed again
Her friend back on the furniture.

She changes into night attire
And climbs into her bed.
She pulls the covers above her body
And just below her head.

She whispers to the corner,
“Goodnight my ballroom dancer.
For being only your first time,
You’re really quite a learner.”

“There’s still some things you need to know
If your time I may borrow,
You haven’t learned a certain step
But I’ll teach you it tomorrow.”

She turns her head and falls asleep,
While dreaming the night away.
But she was not the only one
Whose heart was moved that day.

Unawares and unnoticed
Her father had watched her prance,
How her little teddy bear
Learned to ballroom dance.

He laughed, he smiled, he cried,
He whispered a prayer to heaven.
For his little angel girl
That laid there sleeping pleasant.

“Lord, help her always to stay pure
With innocence and loyalty.
Protect her from an evil world
That fills with depravity.

“And help me Lord, to be a man
To be a good example,
For my little sweetheart girl,
For my little angel."

He wiped a tear from off his face,
He turned his head and glanced at her,
“Goodnight my precious daughter,
Goodnight my ballroom dancer.”

Comments